Tuesday, May 12, 2009

Chapter Eleven

After Max brought me the shirt, I closed the door and turned the faucet on. The water drummed loudly and I loved that sound. I quickly undressed and stepped beneath the raining water. I knew that Max was standing just outside the door and, sick as he was, having all these dirty thoughts. So, I decided to have some fun. I stuck my head outside of the shower door and “moaned” just to see his reaction. I immediately heard him bang on the door, then reach for the knob. He twisted it ferociously and I was glad that I locked it before. I leaned back into the shower and laughed for a while. He was so easy. I heard his footsteps angrily clomp down the stairs. After I finished washing my hair, I jumped out of the shower. I looked in the mirror and ran a brush through my dripping hair then put on my make-shift pajamas. The shorts were definitely a hazard in this house. Too short and too tight. I sighed and opened the bathroom door figuring that I had to take my chances. I came downstairs and found Max outside on the patio.

“Isn’t it a little chilly?” I asked walking over to him, feeling the night air on my bare legs. I watched him snap out of whatever daydream he was having, then do a double take when he saw me.

“Um, yeah?” he said in a questioning tone. I laughed and put my arm around his waist.

“Oh, Max,” I said, “you’re so silly.” I felt him bury his face in my hair.

“Coconut,” he murmured before kissing the top of my head lightly.

“Mm, none of that,” I said backing away from him, feeling slightly bad because I instigated it, having put my arm around him in the first place. I studied his face in the moonlight and saw the real, “un-sexual” him for the first time. He was studying me too, seeming genuinely baffled. My cell phone vibrating in the kitchen brought us both back to reality.

“You should get that,” Max said leading me back inside.

“Yeah, depending on who it is,” I answered. I looked down to see a number I didn’t recognize. “Hello?” I answered.

“Um, hi,” the person on the other line said, “I’m Sergei Gonchar? From the Penguins?”

“Hey,” I answered, “I know who you are.” I laughed a little and he seemed to relax.

“Well, I have Geno on the other line and he wanted me to do a three way call with you because he said that there’s things he wants to tell you that he doesn’t know how to translate to English. So, he wanted me to do it for him. Is that okay?” Sergei finished explaining.

“Oh, yeah that’s absolutely fine,” I agreed making my way over to the couch as Max sat across from me. I heard buttons clicking, then I heard Geno’s distinct voice mutter something in Russian.

“He wants to know how you are feeling,” Sergei said.

“I’m good, a lot better than before,” I answered. An exchange of Russian, then Sergei spoke again.

“He says that he knows what Ryan said and that it’s not true. You mean a lot to him. He cares about you so much,” Sergei translated.

“Aw,” I said, unable to repress it. “That’s so sweet! I knew you weren’t like that Geno. Ryan’s just…I don’t know.”

“He says that he doesn’t know what got into Ryan and he’s never seen him like that before. He was vicious and cruel and it was uncalled for,” Sergei said.

“Ugh I know,” I answered. “He’s just really uptight right now. I can’t explain it.” I sighed and relaxed into the couch. It was so much easier talking through Sergei.

Max’s Point Of View
I heard Riley’s footsteps before she spoke.

“Isn’t it a little chilly?” She asked as she walked over to me. To tell you the truth, I didn’t even feel the chill. I had been much too preoccupied thinking of her.

“Um, yeah?” I answered dumbly. It was the best I could think of. I watched her draw closer to me, then put her arm around my waist. She had no idea what she was doing to me, being that close.

“Oh, Max. You’re so silly,” she said. I had no idea what her angle was. She was a flirter just like me. I just couldn’t play my own game without becoming attached. I breathed deeply and the scent of her shampoo wafted up towards me. Naturally, I bent my head down to get a better smell.

“Coconut,” I said into her hair. Before I could stop myself, I lightly kissed the top of her head. I hoped she wouldn’t notice, but she called me on it.

“Mm, none of that,” she spoke, sounding as if she might have enjoyed it just a little. I was content as she turned to look at me, as if studying me. I did the same to her, just staring into her gorgeous green eyes. The moonlight made them appear even greener. We were interrupted by her cell ringing.

“You should get that,” I said, turning to go back inside.

“Yeah, depending on who it is,” she answered before grabbing the phone. She looked at the number quizzically before flipping it open. “Hello?” she questioned. I didn’t know what the person on the other line had said, but understanding had spread across her face. “Hey I know who you are.” She continued and I could hear the relief in her voice. She laughed cutely and relaxed into the couch. I watched her converse with Sergei/Geno and was instantly jealous. The way she laughed at everything that was said. And the way her face lit up after Sergei translated something. It was infuriating. Geno seemed to make her so happy and my own jealousy surprised me. I tried to tune out the conversation and instead focused on her. Riley. Her wet hair dripped down her back and made little individual puddles on the couch. She had her legs tucked up beneath her and she looked as if she was talking to her crush in tenth grade. Her face was so expressive and I could tell what surprised, upset, or delighted her. I made a promise to myself that I would pay more attention to her features the next time I talked to her. She glanced over at me, smiled, and gave me the thumbs up. I smiled back at her, but not feeling anything at all.

3 comments:

  1. I love how Geno had Sergei do a three way call with Riley. That's so cute! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha. I would be the total opposite with Max Talbot in the room!

    ReplyDelete